This part of the Study Guide includes topics from Recent Mass Shootings in the United States.
Select the folders to/from which you want to add/remove "Final Exam Study Guide for Psychology"
What is the difference between school schooters and artists?
Recent Mass Shooting in the U.S.
- "Recent": 1966 to present
- "Mass Shootings" or "Rampage Killings": The use of a lethal weapon to attempt to kill more than one person.
- "U.S.": American schools (elementary, secondary, & higher education) and the shooter is or was a part of the school.
- There was a dramatic increase in the 1990's
- All individualistic countries
-Typically white males in their 20's from rural or suburbam communities. Low percentage from urban (city).
Deadliest Rampage Killings
- 1927 Bath School Disaster (most deadly)
- 1966 Texas Tower Shooting
- 1999 Columbine School Shooting
- 2005 Red Lake High School Shooting
- 2007 Virginia Tech University Shooting
- 2012 Sandy Hook School Shooting
Probability of a child or adolescence being killed in a school shooting in the U.S.
- Less than 1 in 2 million
Biological Approach to Recent Mass Shootings
Shooters that had problems with their brains
- Charles Whitman: responsible for the Texas Tower Shooting in July 3, 1966.
- Eric Houston (1972-present)
- Brenda Spencer (1962-present)
Learning/Cognitive Approach to Recent Mass Shootings
- Learn through media, mental scripts, and can be influenced by movies.
-Movie: Basketball Diaries- Leonardo DiCaprio
- Book: Rage (1977) by Stephan King (Richard Brachman): High school student talking back and gets kicked out so he shoots his teacher.
- Barry Loukaitis (1981-present)
- Movie: Natural Born Killers (NBK) 1994
- Stored in memory and can be used as a mental guide for behavior and problem solving. Help control and regulate behavior. We learn them.
- Killers plan a script like a choreography (picture)
Cognitive Scripts and Shooters
- It is likely that school shooters have limited successful cognitive scripts to draw on.
- School shooters have greater than average violent fantasies.
Zeit sparen - Effizient lernen
Sprachaufenthalte und Work & Travel
Institut für Banking und Finance
Die Altenative zum Studium