This part of the Study Guide includes topics from Recent Mass Shootings in the United States.
Wähle die Ordner aus, zu welchen Du "Final Exam Study Guide for Psychology" hinzufügen oder entfernen möchtest
What is the difference between school schooters and artists?
Recent Mass Shooting in the U.S.
- "Recent": 1966 to present
- "Mass Shootings" or "Rampage Killings": The use of a lethal weapon to attempt to kill more than one person.
- "U.S.": American schools (elementary, secondary, & higher education) and the shooter is or was a part of the school.
- There was a dramatic increase in the 1990's
- All individualistic countries
-Typically white males in their 20's from rural or suburbam communities. Low percentage from urban (city).
Deadliest Rampage Killings
- 1927 Bath School Disaster (most deadly)
- 1966 Texas Tower Shooting
- 1999 Columbine School Shooting
- 2005 Red Lake High School Shooting
- 2007 Virginia Tech University Shooting
- 2012 Sandy Hook School Shooting
Probability of a child or adolescence being killed in a school shooting in the U.S.
- Less than 1 in 2 million
Biological Approach to Recent Mass Shootings
Shooters that had problems with their brains
- Charles Whitman: responsible for the Texas Tower Shooting in July 3, 1966.
- Eric Houston (1972-present)
- Brenda Spencer (1962-present)
Learning/Cognitive Approach to Recent Mass Shootings
- Learn through media, mental scripts, and can be influenced by movies.
-Movie: Basketball Diaries- Leonardo DiCaprio
- Book: Rage (1977) by Stephan King (Richard Brachman): High school student talking back and gets kicked out so he shoots his teacher.
- Barry Loukaitis (1981-present)
- Movie: Natural Born Killers (NBK) 1994
- Stored in memory and can be used as a mental guide for behavior and problem solving. Help control and regulate behavior. We learn them.
- Killers plan a script like a choreography (picture)
Cognitive Scripts and Shooters
- It is likely that school shooters have limited successful cognitive scripts to draw on.
- School shooters have greater than average violent fantasies.
Berufs- und Weiterbildungszentrum
Lernkarten und mehr für Azubis
Lern- und Lehrmittel für Gesundheits- und Sozialberufe
Lernkarten für sämtliche Sozialversicherungen der Schweiz